Saturday 25 April 2015

Coffee Venture @ Jalan Raja Uda, Butterworth

Sleepy town of Raja Uda in Butterworth is getting wake up call from the recent blooming of artisan coffee and cafes especially at the top of Jalan Raja Uda where there is a newly CCC obtained shop offices on the left side (if coming from Jalan Telaga Air or Taman Bagan) of the main road. 

Coffee Venture is a big cafe, occupying two units of the ground floor shop offices and it is visible from the main road. You will not missed it after the Khian Guan biscuit factory heading north towards 7-Village Noodle House or Kwang Hwa Primary School. Parking spaces are plenty as Coffee Venture is the only establishment there. As it is new, so it is crowded especially on weekends during coffee breaks and after-8 at night. 

As most of my friends and family members know, coffee is not my first option and it never will be unless I have no choice or if the cafe is really famous because of its coffee (hint: starbucks or coffee beans or costa coffee). I have a low tolerance for caffeine in coffees that I could not sleep a wink at night as it will make me tense and agitated. Ok, you guys get it right? But, I like teas and I could have them at any time of day and I could still sleep at night, comfortably regardless of how strong it is. Hence, I may not be a coffee connoisseur so do pardon my comments on non-coffee drinks instead. However, I enjoy #cafesurfing and #cafehopping in Penang as there are so many of them. It's like a new cafe open each week in Penang at this rate that the trend is going. 

The internal furnishings of the cafe is geography inspired where you get to know where does coffee beans come from. As you can see from the map, it all came from countries that is below the equator line, notably South America, Africa and some parts of South East Asia. The price in the menu is mid range (between RM8 to RM20).  

It was a quiet Saturday afternoon, where most people will be indoors at home napping but not for us and these guests. 

Free wifi? Do check with the cashier. 

I guess it is commendable of all cafes to offer complimentary water counter such as this. It goes really well with milk based drinks and quench your thirst even more. So, lemon water was really thoughtful for the customers. 

I fell in love with Kaffa's Chocolate Macchiato (with salted caramel laced on top) and when I saw that Coffee Venture has salted caramel milk (top pic, bottom), I ordered it right away. Tasted like popcorn in a mug with milk! Fragrant and smooth to taste. It will do justice to the drink even more to at least drizzle some caramel on top crisscross fashion and laced the drink with sea salt at the rim of the cup. That'll do my good cuppa at any day. 

Croissant with tuna and side salad. 
It is overbaked but nonetheless, smells good of butter. 

Chicken bolognaise

French toast! Good! It's appealing and fluffy. 

As the cafe is big, so it is a good place for big group gatherings over drinks and cakes. Yet to try the cakes for now.

Coffee Venture
23 & 25, Jalan Raja Uda,
Pusat Perniagaan Raja Uda,
12300 Butterworth, Penang
Tel: 013-582 3388
Facebook page 

No comments:

Post a Comment